7/2/17

Trickery + Persuasion (Curse of the Gods 1 & 2) by Jaymin Eve and Jane Washington Review!


Author: Jaymin Eve and Jane Washington
Genre: Older YA High Fantasy
Date Published: February 2017

 Willa Knight: Dweller. Slave. Non-magical being.
 
In Minatsol, being a dweller means that you are literally no better than dirt. In fact, dirt might actually be more useful than Willa. Her life will be one of servitude to the sols, the magic-blessed beings who could one day be chosen to become gods.

At least her outer village is far removed from the cities of the sols, and she won’t ever be forced to present herself to them... Until one small mistake changes everything, and Willa is awarded a position to serve at Blesswood, the top sol academy in the world—a position that she definitely did not earn.
 
Under the sudden, watchful eye of the gods, she will be tasked to serve the Abcurse brothers, five sols built of arrogance, perfection and power. They are almost gods themselves, and under their service she is either going to end up sentenced to death, or else they are going to ruin her so badly that she will wish for it.
 
Either way, she is in trouble.
 
 

     Guys. GUYS. This series took me by surprise, you have no idea. The synopsis does NOT do it justice or hint at the things I love about this series. Just take my word for it, you NEED to read this series. Bear with me, because I have a lot of gushing to do so I might jump around, but such is the life of a fangirl, well, fangirling.

     So right of the bat, this is a high fantasy series, which most of you know I love. The world Eve and Washington create in this series is...magical to say the least. They created a world filled with gods, sols (which are basically people who will take the place of a god when they die) and dwellers (which are essentially servants to the sols). There are so many layers to this series that make it even more intoxicating but I won't spoil it. Eve and Washington do SUCH a great job of introducing this world that it reminds me of Sarah J Maas and how she easily places readers in the world of ToG. I wasn't kidding when I said this series was close to rivaling the love I have for ToG. It's been a while since I've been so engrossed in a book that I stayed up until 5 AM reading and barely stopped to eat because I didn't want to stop reading. I don't know how the books after this will live up to the impact of this one. I had no idea that this book would blow me away like it did, as I stumbled across it thanks to Amazon. However, the characters and the setting make me love this book so much.

     First of all, I LOVE Willa. She is a clumsy badass and that's everything I didn't know I wanted in a character. She is always falling or accidentally seriously injuring herself or others and it's so hilarious and endearing. I couldn't help but love her. Although she is clumsy as hell and believes the gods cursed her with perpetual clumsiness, she is a strong character. She stands up for what she believes in and she is unapologetically herself, which I love. She faces down scary gods and stares unflinchingly at the scariest group of sols at Blesswood Academy, which is where Willa has been sent to serve the sols. Some might find her clumsiness annoying, but I just find it quirky and it just makes Willa seem human and not the perfect heroin I'm used to. I just love Willa to pieces. Then there are the Abcurse brothers. *fans self*

     Wooo boy do I love those boys. At first, they seem crazy, and that would be an accurate first impression. However, as Willa keeps crossing their path, they take an interest to her and soon....well things get interesting. This is what I love to call a reverse harem story, but minus the sexy times. The sparks that fly between Willa and the Abcurse brothers are insane, but the brothers don't act on it really. They just become fiercely protective of Willa and I DIE for that. I'm such a sucker for a protective group of men that I will literally read anything with men like that in it. It's one of my favorite things that could happen in a book. And the fact that they are kind of jerks to everyone else BUT Willa? PURE GOLD.

     The thing I love most about Willa and the boys is that their romance is far from the focus of the story. Sure, the sparks fly more often than not, but the story isn't about them. It's about uncovering secrets of their world and taking on the gods with a LOT of mischief in between. There is never a dull moment in either books and I could not put it down. The adventures they go on and the situations they get themselves into is enough to entertain anyone. And there is a LOT of humor in this series, which isn't surprising since Willa is a such a character. She never failed to make me laugh and the boys never failed to make me swoon. Eve and Washington kept me interested, not that it was hard to do with their writing style. I won't reveal too much, but I was so shocked when some of my burning questions were answered and unknown identities uncovered. I just loved every second of these two books, and I CANNOT wait for the third book to come out!

     Needless to say, these two books have made their way onto my favorites list and the authors have found themselves a new fan! I can't wait to see what else they have in store for Willa and the boys because I am along for the ride! I give Trickery and Persuasion five out of five stars!

     Go get it! Now! I demand it. You won't regret it! *winks*

No comments:

Post a Comment