2/3/15

Tear You Apart by Sarah Cross Review!




An edgy fairy tale retelling of "Snow White" set in the world of Kill Me Softly for fans of Once Upon a Time and Grimm.

Faced with a possible loophole to her "Snow White" curse, Viv goes underground, literally, to find the prince who's fated to rescue her. But is a safe life in the Underworld worth the price of sacrficing the love that might kill her?

    Tear You Apart is a modern retelling of the fairy tale Snow White with a twist ,and I liked it.  It had an engaging start and I really looked forward to seeing what happened in the end. It was interesting to see Sarah’s take on the different fairytales and how she presented them as a curse. In this book, we have Viv, who is cursed with the Snow White fairytale, but there are others cursed with fairytales such as Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, etc. I thought the concept was different and a breath of fresh air. I felt for Viv. She had to deal with how cruel Regina, her step mother, was and how much of a jerk her dad was, but I never fully connected with her. Vivian was smart and determined, but something about her just didn’t connect with me.  It made the story a little hard to read because of that. 

    I liked seeing the difference between Henley, the huntsman, and Jasper, the prince of the Underwolrd, and how differently they both treated Viv. At first I loved Jasper a lot more than Henley, but Henley really grew on me by the end. Just the fact that Japser is a Prince of the Underworld makes him more attractive. Throughout the whole book I could never tell who to trust. It was a guessing game as to who Viv would choose until the very end. It kept your attention for sure. Usually by the halfway point I can tell who will win the heroine's heart, but with this book it's all a mystery. Jasper was charming and sweet and Henley was becoming volatile and suspicious. I never saw the events in this book coming. I was constantly surprised. There is always something happening or a plan in play in this book, and it was never a dull moment. I really enjoyed the pacing of the book.  Also, there was a huge plot twist in the end! I love a good plot twist! I like being surprised with books. Predictability is boring.

    All in all the story was good but it didn't blow me away. However, if you love fairytales, retellings, magical portals, action, and plot twists then I think you should read this book. You might love it! I give it four out of five stars.

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of retellings but perhaps I'll give this one a shot :)

    ReplyDelete