1/5/15

There Will Be Lies by Nick Lake Review!

20613635

In four hours, Shelby Jane Cooper will be struck by a car.

Shortly after, she and her mother will leave the hospital and set out on a winding journey toward the Grand Canyon.

All Shelby knows is that they’re running from dangers only her mother understands. And the further they travel, the more Shelby questions everything about her past—and her current reality. Forced to take advantage of the kindness of unsuspecting travelers, Shelby grapples with what’s real, what isn’t, and who she can trust . . . if anybody.

Award-winning author Nick Lake proves his skills as a master storyteller in this heart-pounding new novel. This emotionally charged thrill ride leads to a shocking ending that will have readers flipping back to the beginning.

    I did not know what to expect when starting this book. The synopsis is mysterious and leaves you wanting to know more. Therefore, my review will be just as mysterious and as non-spoiler-y as possible. The feel of this book is very odd. I can't really explain it, but when you first start reading you get the feeling that something isn't quite right. Shelby and her mom are living alone and they are both very cautious and shy. Then one night, Shelby gets hit by a car and her mom's shyness and cautiousness changes. Her mother seems like a different person after that, and then she tells Shelby something that completely changes everything. This book is full of twists. We are given little bits of information as the story goes along that will have you shocked and questioning everything. The whole feel of this book is unsettling to me. It's not like any book I've ever read before.

    Although the story was a bit unsettling, I wanted to know more. It took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I was intrigued. The strangeness of the story kept me reading. There Will Be Lies is full of surprises. I never expected the adventure, mystery or action that I got. The beginning really threw me through a loop because it seemed like a normal contemporary book, one that was hard to get into, but then it turned into this paranormal story filled with adventure, mystery, and lies. Through the whole book I was question who Shelby's mom really is, why Shelby is in this paranormal situation (I can't give it away without ruining the story), and why this adventure is happening to her. I didn't exactly like the beginning because I just found Shelby's mother and whole situation odd because I didn’t understand what was going on. However, I kept going because I felt like something more was about to happen. I'm glad I stuck with the story because I can see that the oddity of the beginning was necessary after finishing the book. This book really threw me through a loop and my mind is blown. When you read this book you better prepare yourself for a thrill ride. It's hard to believe that the book you started was the book you ended with, does that make sense? From beginning to end, so much happens that it's hard to believe you started off where you did.

    This book really left me speechless. I can't really express how different this book is from anything I have ever read before. Honestly, I can't decide if I like it a little or love it. I've never had mixed feelings about a book before, but this book has left me confused. I think this story is a great one, but maybe it just isn't for me. The author takes reality and dreaming and twists it around to make this complex and creative story. I mean, I couldn't put the book down. I had to know where the story was going. If you are looking for a story that will take you on a journey full of shocking secrets, unbelievable adventures, thrilling action, and surprising outcomes, then There Will Be Lies is the book for you. I give it four out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment