5/5/14

Gorgeous by Paul Rudnick Review



  
   

    Eighteen-year-old Becky Randle is an ordinary girl who receives an impossible offer. She meets Tom Kelly, the world's top designer, and he promises to create three dresses to transform her from a nothing-special girl into the Most Beautiful Woman Who Ever Lived.  Becky thinks Tom is a lunatic, or that he's producing a hidden camera show called World's Most Gullible Poor People. But she accepts, and she's remade as Rebecca. When Becky looks in the mirror, she sees herself -- an awkward mess of split ends and cankles. But when anyone else looks at Becky, they see pure five-alarm hotness. Soon Rebecca is on the cover of Vogue and the new Hollywood darling. Then she meets Prince Gregory, heir to the British throne, and everything starts to crumble. Because Rebecca aside, Becky loves him. But to love her back, Gregory would have to look past the blinding Rebecca to see the real girl inside. And for that, there's not enough magic in the world.(From Goodreads)
    I was really excited to read this book at first because it sounded like a good contemporary read, but as I began to read it, I just couldn’t get into it. I hate to say it, but I could not even get halfway through because this book was just really strange. I cannot explain it but the atmosphere of the book was just off. I tried to read the whole book, but I cannot force myself to read something I do not like. I was just so confused as to what was happening that it was hard to concentrate on the progression of the story. At first, I thought this book was just a normal contemporary book, but as the story continues, it seems like there is a supernatural element to it. Maybe it is because I was in a reading slump or what not, but I just could not finish this book. I have to give it one out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment